Jellysquasher demos

Might there be any more Jellysquasher demos/tutorials on the horizon? Recently purchased one of these and seem to only get subtle results, even though I thrown different sound sources at it and am wildly altering the settings…Yes am making sure it is the WET signal I’m listening to!

Happy to be shown the way, thanks

I’ve got a video in the works at the moment with some modulation examples. Was there anything in particular you wanted to see demonstrated or explained?

Even some compression basics would probably go along way; what is it doing? when are you going to notice it? There are very few useful videos on this. I’ve slowly figured out some of this stuff for myself, but am still pretty green on the subtleties of compression, and what is actually happening.

I got into it for sidechaining a kick drum specifically, which as a use cased is probably the simplest for compression—duck out my bassline when the kick drum hits

So more of an introduction to the principals of compression using Jellysquasher? Yeah I can see that being useful. This next video should be up shortly, but it’s more of a demonstration video showing examples of using Jellysquasher to add dynamics.

1 Like

And here it is! Hope you find it helpful…

2 Likes

Great thank you. Might there be any more videos coming with some more focused explanations?

It’s definitely a possibility, but there’s a few other things that will have to take priority.

Learning to read the meters is really important to getting good sound out of the JSquasher. Flipping back and forth between VU and GR gives you a better picture of what’s going on. The Output VU helps you make sure you’re not distorting the output, and if the movement of the Gain Reduction meter will show you the timing of your attack and release, or if the compressor is pinning or not reacting at all.

Personally, I got my best results by using low ratios with low thresholds for more subtle results, and high ratios with high thresholds for limiting. Then I adjust my attack and release by starting at the fastest values and easing off until the pumping moves in time with the song or rhythm. Basically, as with all compressors when the signal exceeds the Threshold it is reduced by an amount determined by the Ratio, with a speed set by the attack and release. You can think of it as an automatic volume control, or a sort of envelope-following VCA.

The Coloration modes respond more noticeably when you push the Input Level or Makeup Gain harder. XForm in particular shows more character when the Input Level is driven.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I think the video is set to hidden or private, it’s not in your guys YouTube feed

Thanks Scott, they’re great tips!

Much appreciated

Scott is quickly become the module tweaking expert from making all these videos :wink:

1 Like

Yeah it was still unlisted. You got a sneak preview!

1 Like

Thanks for the video! I have been using my Jellysquasher for fairly basic things and that gives me some great ideas.