Holding Atlantis notes via Sustain Pedal & µMIDI

Hi all, I’m relatively new to Eurorack Modular and I’ve gone all-in with an Intellijel-heavy system.

As a keyboard composer, I’m having no luck holding notes with a midi sustain pedal. Pitch and gate are lovely on the Atlantis, but holding notes via the sustain pedal is just not happening. I can confirm that sustain midi is being sent to the µMIDI.

Any clue what’s going on?

Thanks, Aaron

Hi Phenotype,

I’m guessing this is caused because MIDI sustain messages are sent on a separate CC channel and are not holding the GATE of µMIDI to stay open. GATE is related to MIDI note on and note off messages so unfortunately sustain is not tied into those messages.

It would be nice if sustain could be assigned to the CC output of the µMIDI. Perhaps that could be added in a future firmware update.

Until then you will have to rely on holding notes by holding keys, unless you can somehow route the sustain pedal to control the breath control CC output of µMIDI.

AH! I totally get it. Or a more elegant solution might be to have an incoming sustain message hold any active gate, so you don’t lose a mod or cc output.

That would be AWESOME.

That would be a question for @kamil

@phenotype Currently µMIDI ignores the Damper / Sustain CC (64), but you’re right that this would be useful to add. It could just keep the gate high even after a note off, and not toggle the gate on new note ons, until the sustain is turned off. I’ll add this to the TODO list for future firmware.

3 Likes

Ah, it’s actually already on the TODO list, so I guess you’re not the first to ask :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Kamil,
I’m expanding my system and will probably need a few more MIDI modules. Did sustain pedal support ever get implemented in the µMIDI? Crossing fingers!

Hi guys, bumping - any thoughts here? FWIW, the Doepfer A-190 MIDI interface supports both sustain and legato out of the box. Would certainly make the µMIDI even more musician friendly. Thanks.

We’ll be developing an updated firmware for the µMIDI soon, so I will put that on the list

3 Likes

Outstanding.

Just for reference here is the Doepfer manual for their MIDI interface that describes special support for certain controller # messages:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1904.htm

Controller #1 Modulation (obviously already covered on the µMIDI) :slight_smile:
Controller #5 Portamento Time
Controller #64 Sustain (top priority) :100:
Controller #65 Portamento
Controller #68 Legato
Controller #92 Tremolo
Controller #121 All Controllers Off
Controller #123 All Notes Off

BONUS

One other final enhancement to consider would be user-assignable cc control values for the CC output. Perhaps the CC could map to a midi input CC value when the learn button was held down? This would be a big time saver when you have an existing track in Logic/Ableton with existing CC automation or a controller mapped to a certain control value and you’d like to avoid remapping either to breath control (#2).

Very psyched for the update - I desperately need this to write tracks the way I prefer too. Anyway, if we update this right - I 200% guarantee buying 4 more of them. And actually if you guys commit to supporting this, I’ll buy them now to put money where my mouth is. :slight_smile:

Best, Aaron

1 Like

It might be a little while, but I’ll definitely try to get as many of those things in as possible. At this point the firmware for µMIDI is nearly 5 years old and has got a bit stale compared to our other products so it’s going to get a bit of an overhaul to bring it up to speed and so that we can reuse the MIDI portions in other products (eg: Quadrax uses a MIDI interface for calibration via a desktop app)

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. I"m investing in a significant setup to integrate with my SSL/DAW system - so I’d love to architect the deep MIDI integration with my Eurorack around something very smart, simple and straightforward - it’s hard to beat the clarity and simplicity of the µMIDI interface. It’s just without the sustain, things just starts to fall apart as a composer. Anyway, good luck and thanks for the quick replies. I’ll stay tuned!

1 Like

One epilogue on this. Just wanted to mention that I’m 8000% willing to beta test any sustain pedal firmware updates as soon as you’re all able to rock one out. Thanks.

P.S. I’ve bought a Rainmaker since my last post so hopefully that will fund a little bit of the work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just an update here. I’ve since bought another µMIDI as a down payment on the R&D to help get this done. Please keep me posted! I’m staying tuned. Thanks.