Eurorack 101

Whether you’re new to Eurorack, looking to brush up on some concepts, or just want to get a survey of what kind of things are available, we now have a high-level guide on our website that covers most of that:

Eurorack 101

Thanks go to @ScottMFR for making this excellent resource.

8 Likes

Thanks Kamil!

Also if there’s anything that you feel is missing or needs improvement, let me know here and I’ll try to it out.

1 Like

very nice guide. The pictures are really “soft” focus wise.

Just me 2 cents.

That’s probably due to the way Wordpress is scaling them down from the full version. Maybe @slowwild has some ideas on how to improve it.

I fixed a few bad ones, some of them are a little off, it seems to be how WordPress is handling the images for hi-dpi displays. I’ll add it to the bug tracker for the website… back to the tetrapad expander :slight_smile:

Thanks @PolySilk

1 Like

Was bugging me too much, I fixed it all up on this page :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I skimmed through the guide and found a number of little things that could be cleaned up. It’s mostly just formatting, punctuation, etc.:

1. Does “Eurorack” need to be capitalized?

2. Other capitalization inconsistencies:
    Under LFOs, 20Hz vs. 20hz
    Under Envelopes, Hold stage vs. hold stage
    VCA was not capitalized one time

3. Under CV, Audio, and MIDI - the fraction 1/8 is typed out, but later in the document, the 1/8 is a single character

4. Gates, Triggers, Clocks, and Square Waves are all signals that toggle…” (vs. toggles)

5. The terms unipolar and bipolar are used, with no explanation as to what they mean. At least, not until much later, when bipolar is defined under “Clocks, Gates, Triggers, and Dividers”. (I’m a fan of the Oxford comma, BTW, so thanks for that. But I digress…)

6. “…the amount of fluctuation is referred to as amplitude.” This is a questionable critique, but to me, the word “amount” is ambiguous, as it could mean either the range/degree of fluctuation, or the number of fluctuations (and upon first reading, I was more inclined to think the latter, but I’m probably in the minority). But it’s made clear in the next sentence which you mean, so maybe it isn’t that big a deal.

7. Under Oscillators and LFOs - there seems to be a formatting issue with the line “The shape that these cycles take is referred to as the wave shape” - there appears to be a hard Return before the word “wave” or something, that’s breaking the line early

8. “A sine wave is the most pure tone, as it produces…with its oscillations.” (Add comma, remove apostrophe)

9. …you’re going to hear people say, “You can never have enough VCAs.” (Add comma, capitalize first word in quotes, period inside quotes)

10. Under Logic - “…will help make more sense of NAND…” (missing the word “sense”?)

I hope you don’t mind me playing editor.

4 Likes

Wow, thanks Mr Hooks! Really appreciate you taking the time to go through my article. I’ve corrected the things you mentioned and added a brief explanation of uni vs bi polar when it first comes up.

1 Like

could not figure out how to upload a .gif, but there is a very cool animation by dave jones here(fifth post down)

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1757924

This is a comprehensive and well illustrated guide to Modular Synthesis! My first (two years ago) module purchased was made by Intellijel, and my most recent purchase was Scales. I’m delighted by the design, build quality and sound manipulations from every product of yours.

This guide seems to be missing one more small item, a definition/description of a sequencer. In spite of the beautiful photo of my favorite sequencer, the Metropolis, there is no description of what a sequencer actually does.
Best regards.

1 Like

Good call MoogCloud! That’s definitely an important thing to cover.

OK, I added a section on sequencers and quantizers.

2 Likes