CVx - CV Expander compatible with the MIDI 1U

Yes, but MPE does not use polyphonic aftertouch at all, it only uses channel aftertouch.

If you want to use the MIDI 1U with an MPE device, you don’t want to set it up in Poly mode. Instead you need to create as many mono synths as you will have voices, and put each one on its own channel. Then configure your MPE controller to use that set of channels. I do this with my Linnstrument and it works well. The controller will handle the voice allocation itself.

That’s right - I’m confusing MPE with PolyAT…
Keith McMillen QuNexus also does MPE. But that wont work with Ableton Live 11 and Push 2 natively.

So if I wanted to get the cv expander I could use that as additional outputs for the monome teletype, without the midi 1U?

1 Like

The Tetetype would need to support it, but the info is out there so they could add support. It’s also never been tested.

1 Like

It’s electrically plausible (but not AFAIK tested) and the physical layer protocols are compatible (I2C is I2C), but the way that Teletype uses I2C logically is going to be tricky.

Here’s the docs for how Teletype uses I2C, called just II

The biggest difference is granularity:

• a whole Ansible module uses a SINGLE address (one of 0x20-0x23) to receive commands
  • a CVx module uses two addresses (one for the DAC and one for the EEPROM)

There’s also an issue of address conflicts - the II documentation links to the pre-assigned list, and some of the existing assignments overlap with the addresses used by CVx. (they have reserved a range for Tetrapad, tho)

2 Likes

The CVx is currently out of stock everywhere. When would you think it will become available again?

Thanks

Intellijel CVx Midi 1U Expander Module – Nightlife Electronics In stock here

Also make sure you check wigglehunt there’s stock floating around

I see Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi Kamil, I had a strange glitch yesterday, probably a voltage spike whilst connecting my morphader module to one of the CVx outputs. The Midi1u crashed and the higher half of the CVx outputs [ 3, 4, 7, 8 ] are now holding [ high, high, high, low ]. My gut feeling is that something may have overwritten the eeprom during the crash / glitch, as the left most dac outputs [ 1, 2, 5, 6 ] are still functioning it seems.
(Changing the output modes for the affected outputs has no effect, perhaps the choices are being masked by the eeprom contents forcing the outputs high/low? - that’s my gut theory. Thinking if the DAC was toast, it would likely be a single multiplexed dac & all outputs would have died?)

Is there a way to reinitialise the eeprom dac settings? I was thinking, given the settings might be per-module and per-output specific… I might have to use the I2c information above & a microcontroller to have a look at the contents & perhaps edit them back into place, checking voltages on the scope.

But I wondered if you had an easier method? or a firmware for the device perhaps?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Does anyone have experience using an MPE controller with the Intellijel MIDI 1U modules? Specifically a Seaboard Rise or a Linnstrument?

Even though MPE isn’t directly supported by the MIDI modules, it seems you can limit the MIDI channels used by Ableton Live to output MPE data: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409113250322-MPE-Zone-Configuration

So, with a MIDI 1U and two expanders, could I play three simultaneous notes on my MPE controller, setup Ableton to only output on 3 MIDI channels, and configure the 1U modules to listen to pitch+gate+pressure+slide on those 3 channels? Would that work well? Has anyone done this?

Would it also be possible to get 6 voices out of a MIDI 1U and two expanders if I only care about pitch+gate+pressure or pitch+gate+slide?

One complication might be the MIDI pitch of the note-on event translates to the pitch CV, and maybe that’s separate data from the per-note pitch bend. Can all that pitch data be unified and output out of a single pitch jack, or does the note’s “base” pitch and pitch bend need to come out of two different jacks and be added together on the modular with a precision adder (or send the bend signal to a VCO’s FM input)?

Alternately I’m looking at Expert Sleepers FH-2 + expander(s) or Endorphines Shuttle Control. Those modules officially support MPE and have the added benefit of being a MIDI host, so I wouldn’t need a computer to use an MPE controller. The Intellijel modules will require a computer to be the host, right? A standalone desktop MIDI/CV converter might be good too, if such things exist.

Thoughts or recommendations?

I’ve recently tried to read this calibration information for my newly bought CVx, but I’m a bit confused by the data I get. Reading 32 bytes at address 0x0 from the EEPROM gives:

02 E4 00 00 00 A8 FF FF 
FF FC 00 00 00 C4 FF FF 
FF E0 00 00 00 9C FF FF 
FF 2C 01 00 00 E0 FF FF

That doesn’t look like the right format for this data. As an example, it would mean that for output 2 I would need to use DAC code 0 both for 0v and 1v?

Hello,

Is the CV 1u can connect with Umidi 1u from 2019?

Do you plan to release a version of this CV module but not 1U?

regards