Alternative / portable power for 7U cases

I just noticed on a Make Noise video out in a park they say they’re using this guy: https://www.amazon.com/100-Watt-Portable-Generator-40800mAh-Emergency/dp/B01M3S00H0

@ScottMFR, you’ve confused me. That Paxcess device outputs 12V, but kamil said that the 7U case needs to see 15-18V for it to derive the +/- 12V rails. So, is the Paxcess outputting a bit more than 12V, or is the 7U happy with a mere 12V ?

Oh you’re right. I hadn’t noticed that. I guess the Make Noise cases only use 12V.

The Paxcess also has regular 110V AC, so you can just plug in the power supply as you would to a normal outlet.

Hi there,

I am also looking for a portable solution for my Intellijel 7u 104hp case. Do you guys think any of these two would work?

I already got some portable speakers, just missing the power supply :slight_smile:

Thanks.

My concern would be that it states a 65W max while the Meanwell gsm90 used by the 7U 104HP is 90W. I bought one of these usage monitors to test what the actual power consumption of my case is: https://www.amazon.ca/Kuman-Electricity-Monitor-Overload-Protection/dp/B07DPJ3RGB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546968034&sr=8-4&keywords=voltage+meter+lcd+display

I’m also planning to write an article for Ask.Audio next month on this topic as it seems like there’s a lot of people interested but not a lot of good information out there.

The TPS80 power supply in the 7U case can draw a maximum of ~80W, but that would be with it fully loaded, so you’d have to have some pretty power-hungry modules in there. It’s definitely a good idea to find out the peak power consumption of your system before trying another power solution.

Thanks. This would be awesome, please post link here when available.

I haven’t looked at the wattage in the ads for example. As many people I believe, I am completely illaterate in what concerns eletrical power so a good all-around article explaning what to look for in a battery for beginners would be truly awesome for a lot of people I’d say.

Will do! The difficulty of finding information and the amount of confusion out there made me think it would be a good topic for an article. That and the fact that it’s a problem I want to solve for myself!

Right now I’m leaning toward the Aimtom SPS-155

Cool, thanks.
I am in Europe so this particular model would not apply here I think. Just one more thing to consider for the article, different power specifications around the globe! :wink:
Thanks again for your help.

@ScottMFR Just seconding modular’s request that you consider users in UK/Europe in your article. There’s definitely a need for such an article – looking forward to it.

Regarding the USB PSUs designed for phones/laptops. Whilst these often have considerable capacity (40Ahr or more, which is plenty), most of them can’t pump it out at a rate sufficient for our needs. I’ve not found any that can deliver more than 2A or so. I reckon 4A would be better, as this has to be shared between all 3 voltage rails.

I’ll definitely consider UK wigglers, but I wont have any way of testing how products made for that market would work. I’ll be sure to spend some time checking out euro alternatives though.

Maybe someone will offer to pay for a flight to the UK so you can test some power solutions there

3 Likes

I am considering this one. Any thoughts?

And does it have to be a pure sine inverter for eurorack (usually more expensive from what I can gather, and for more delicate equipment)? The one linked above has a modified wave apparently.
Thanks.

I kept researching and I believe I will go with a pure sine inverter battery. Another question I have is grounding. Portable batteries do not have a ground usually - is this a problem to use them with eurorack? Will it create electrical hum and/or static electricity/“floating” in the modular?

I’ve used a ChargeTech 54000 mAh hour battery for a pretty good run. It has two 110v grounded outlets.

how long you think you could run that setup for on that battery?

I could run the Intellijel rack itself for 10 hours on that battery, easily. The modules in it draw 888mA of current according to Modular Grid (plus power supply overhead). Of course powering speakers is the real draw, but I think practically a few hours for everything in the photo is a fair estimate, which includes the B&O speaker at full volume. You can’t fly in a commercial airline with that battery, but they make a slightly smaller one that is FAA approved.

2 Likes

Looks like a good option! I’m surprised I never came across that when I was researching options.

I bought the Aimtom and so far so good. Had a fun but chilly jam on the beach.

4 Likes