1u uMidi connections

Does any one know what the pinout is for the connector between the 1u uMidi and the Midi Jacks? And are there any components on the Midi Jacks panel, or just the connectors? (I’m considering buying a uMidi, but I’d rather mount my own connectors on the back of my cabinet without using Midi Jacks at all if possible).

Also, there’s no information that I can find about what exactly the web configurator can control with uMidi: I can load the app in Google Chrome, but it won’t start without a uMidi present, so I can’t see what it can and can’t do. In particular, does anyone know if it’s possible to do the following:

1. Control pitch bend range

2. Pick which controller to use for the CC output (I’d rather use CC16 than Breath Control, since that’s what my Pro-2 sends out from its ribbon).

3. Turn portamento on and off (and set the time/rate). I know this can be done with midi controller messages, but that’s a bit awkward compared to an app.

And one last suggestion: according to the manual, the learn button sets the MIDI channel. It’d be nice if it could also set the CC number (by wiggling some controller when holding down learn).

Many thanks!

2 Likes

the pinout for the connector should be in the manual? I’m sorry I really don’t understand midi very much. I just know that the uMidi is plug and play for the most part. it just works. Then you can have fun messing around with the more important sound stuff and not have to waste time with MIDI. But It would be cool, I agree, to have more CC outputs. Maybe an expander?

There is no 1u uMidi manual - the page just points to the 3u version (which doesn’t need the Midi Jacks panel as the connectors are built into the 3u panel).

And I’m fine with the number of MIDI controllers it has - I just want to use different CC numbers so that it plays naturally with my other gear.

It can do 1 and 2, but not 3.

The pinout is here:

image https://forum.intellijel.com/uploads/default/original/1X/6ebc8d39c3b7925873ce61b0bd444cf3044cb1f5.png

There’s no other components on the jacks boards other than the connectors.

That’s great - thank you very much!

I didn’t know it had out and thru as well as in. Does it actually send anything out?

No, it’s just a hardware MIDI thru, the signal never hits the processor.

So I went ahead and bought one, and it all works nicely (including my wiring for the connectors on the back of my cabinet).

However, there’s one issue: it seems I can’t do (2) from the list above after all - that is I can’t pick a CC number for the CC output. The drop down list in the MIDI configurator tool only has two choices: aftertouch or breath control.

Please could you add the ability to pick any CC number!

Many thanks.

1 Like

Could you please share your wiring to a midi din jack please? Thank you!

The Pinouts are in the picture above! Or do you mean the wiring on the DIN socket itself? (That’s standard MIDI stuff - you can find that on the web. Something like this: MIDI Tutorial - learn.sparkfun.com

So in4 and in5 is the corresponding din5 pin? I only need Gnd as well for a working input right?

Hey Cormallen, I know it’s been a while, but I’m basically planning something very similar for my DIY Monster Case - but with far less electronics experience than you seem to have. That said, I’m good with a soldering iron!

Got some questions for you:

1. What wire did you use to connect the DIN socket to the MIDI 1U?
  2. What were the end-points of the cable? Jumper style sockets, or just straight solder?
  3. Did you ever get the MIDI Thru working by any chance? If so, how?

Thanks!

Hi there.

Sorry it’s been a long time since I did this, and I actually sold my uMIDI shortly after this, so I really can’t remember any details. (I designed and built a sequencer module that also serves as a 32-channel MIDI to CV converter, so the uMIDI became redundant).

1. Just whatever thin, multi-core cable I had lying to hand. It doesn’t much matter.
  2. I don’t remember soldering directly to the uMIDI, so I’m guessing there was a header or something.
  3. Never bothered trying, since I have an 8 port MIDI interface and only about 6 synths.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Thanks for the help, have one more question if you don’t mind!

I see the pinout of the umidi 1u above. My only issue is I don’t quite understand how it correlates to the pins on my 5 pin DIN socket.

Midi in for 5-Pin DIN generally requires a +, -, and ground connection, whereas the pinout above is IN-4, OUT-4 etc. Any advice? Thanks!

IN-4 etc refers to DIN socket, pin 4. All the other pins are labelled with the same convention. So that’s two pins per socket.

In addition, the OUT socket should have pin 2 tied to ground. (Pin 2 is the shielding in the cable).

The IN socket should not have pin 2 tied to ground; only one end of the connection needs to ground the shield, and doing it at both ends can lead to ground loops and hum.

H

Aah of course! Missed the obvious :smiley:

For ground (on the DIN Out and/or USB) would I connect to Pin 7 or direct to case body?

I would use pin 7, just since it’s right there on the header.