1U modules wishlist

I couldn’t stand having 4 cables running from my UAD Apollo 8 interface up to my modular. They were always hanging off the edge of the desk, feeling disorganized. I even put funky tape labels on them to distinguish which was pitch, gate, clock, etc… And worse - the 1/4" to 3.5mm cables are thick, clumsy cables that are a pain to drag into the modular workspace.
Then I had an idea.
I customized (see: Bastardized) a 1U mult by cutting the traces between the first two jacks and the last three on each row. So now it’s basically a 4-channel patch bay. The 4 cables from my DAW are permanently connected to jacks 1, 3, 6, and 8. To link this into the modular you use port 2 (links to 1); ports 4 or 5 (links to 3); port 7 (links to 6); and ports 9 and 10 (links to 8).
It’s a hack job, and Octalink is a better idea…but I need a different breakout on the other end of that CAT5 cable.
I’d love to see an Octalink with a custom cable that goes from CAT6 to eight 1/4" floating ring jacks.

You could make that yourself by cutting off the end of an RJ-45 cable and soldering the wires to some 1/4" jacks. Then the other end would plug into a regular octalink.

@kamil - I was thinking of doing that - it would get messy as I would need to create an 8:1 wire junction for the ground wires.
The other thought is to drill out a small Hammond pedal box for the other end of an Octalink to keep in the rack next to the audio interface, and then just run 8 short 1/4"to 3.5mm patches - but that is also adding another set of connection points.

I don’t think it would be that messy if you built it into an enclosure with an RJ-45 jack. Just need to run a short wire between the ground of every jack.

The 1U Peaks from Plum Audio with CV inputs is super interesting! It might join my 1U minions together with their VOR Ornament & Crime.

And yes, having faceplates made would be the most elegant way to convert 3U modules to 1U. They‘d probably end up occupying 22hp (instead of 26 with the adapter).

1 Like

think someone said it before maybe…

but it would be great to have another 1u passive mult options, 6hp - 1 in and 4 out sounds pretty perfect

Personally, I’d just use hubs rather than use HP for passive mults.

2 Likes

i hear ya. i do have a handful of hubs and stackcables. i used to think racked mults were such a waste of hp… but i now really enjoy patching with them as a workflow thing so that makes it worth the space for me in the 1u row at least.

the smaller version being passive would basically make it equivalent to an odd hp blank except useful

1 Like

Why not 2x 1 in 2 out that’s normalled to be usable as 1 in 4 out?

Also, it looks like Intellijel seems to prefer spacing jacks furhter apart than every 2HP, hence the 1U mults being 14HP and not 10HP. Working with jacks that close together kinda sucks, but it’s understandable it you’re trying to save space.

Just wanted to second this about two years later :slight_smile: A 1u logic operations would make perfect sense!

2 Likes

This might be a silly idea, but I was thinking of a triple precision adder for chord transposition, sort of an expanded version of the LPZW WK1 Aroom config. Each adder would have 2 inputs (let’s call them A and B), 1 output, plus a 3-way toggle to transpose the CV up or down one semitone. Inputs A2 and A3 would be normalled to A1; same goes for the B inputs. Besides using it as three individual adders, this would allow you not only to transpose three voices with a single transposition CV, but manually change the chord quality with the toggles as well, which the WK1 can’t do.

Perhaps manual toggling isn’t the best way to get the job done, but it’s small and simple.

1 Like

Re: octave switcher, I’m way late on this, but as a compromise, how about including what are probably the most common modulations - the 5th, and the (Major) 2nd? To save space while keeping it separate from the octave knob, it could be incorporated into a small 3-way toggle above the knob (so it can only modulate upward), with root position in the center.

For the -V output, either have the P5/M2 invert to P4/m7 (so that, once subtracted, it still lands on the P5 or M2), or keep them as added voltages, to avoid modulating to P4 or m7.

Or just leave out the -V output and Thru and save a couple HP. :wink:

A CV input might be preferable to a -V output or Thru as well.

I just watched the Ins & Outs of 1U video, and trying to understand XY + Mixup got me thinking: how about an updated Stereo Line Out 1U that can be chained like Mixup, so we can use multiple modules together as a stereo mixer? It may not be as space-efficient as a Mixup 1U for the same number of channels, but if one only needs two stereo channels, it would be a slightly smaller solution.

I’m pretty sure the XY allows you to combine stereo signals to a common stereo output with the 3pin connectors.

So I think you could do what you’re asking…but I’m purely speculating based on the back of the panel.

@mrhooks & @buzzard - I gave a bit of a description of XY in this thread: Intellijel 1U IO Confusion

Can the Stereo Line Out 1U accept input through it’s 3-pin connector though? I thought it was out only - which is probably why the XY is meant only for the two modules mentioned in the video.

That’s correct. The 3-pin jumper on the back of the Stereo Line Out is an output to connect to the Headphones 1U.

I sketched out something almost exactly like this before! I have been hunting for a good xfader supplier.

5 Likes

great! when will we hope to see it available?