Exciting new use for the µFold

One of the best things about eurorack is accidental musical discoveries. Am I right?

Today, I disconnected the input on my ufold and found there was still magical sounds coming out. It turns out that sending some funky modulations into the SYM input is enough to make some sweet sweet noises. Specifically, I had a slightly slewed square wave going in. It sounded like a poor mans kick-snare on the 1-2. Hexinverter be damned!

Then I started feeding it all kinds of syncopated AD envelopes… perhaps I should get off my duff and finally get that youtube channel up and running so I can show you what I mean.

BTW if there’s no input, modulating folds does nothing.

Thanks and enjoy!

3 Likes

Another neat trick: If you mult the output and feed it back into the input you can make a noise generator :slight_smile: Maybe feeding it back into the sym input would do something cool too.

3 Likes

OMG. Sounds folktek matter-like! :dizzy_face:

There’s a lot of weird sounds you can do with seemingly “basic” modules if you just creatively cross and self-patch them. A lot of the fancy single-purpose weird / creative modules are doing just that, except that it’s hard wired. If you have the basic building blocks like good oscillators, envelopes and wavefolders you can do a lot of it yourself in a more creative way. :+1:

5 Likes

I do this all the time to make snares and hi hats to go along with my plonk :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice!

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear more of on this forum, would be great if more people shared their creative patching techniques here.

3 Likes

This works great with the quadra + quadra expander in synthesizing open / closed hat patterns as well.

uFold out > buff mult in
buff mult out > uFold in
buff mult out > uVCF in (Adjust Cutoff frequency to taste or modulate)
uVCF BPF > Quad VCA in 1 (For Snare)
uVCF HPF > Quad VCA in 2 (For Hats)
Quadra Env 1 > Quad VCA volume 1
Quadra Env 2 > Quad VCA volume 2
Quadra Env 3 > Quad Env 2 Decay (Set trigger type to pulse and play with attack and decay)

Then just trigger your first two Quadra envelopes from a uStep or some other source.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here :slight_smile:

µfold is great - really - I like it a lot too - but I have a question regarding the symmetry pot.

Is it normal that the symmetry pot is kind of scratchy? even if you just slightly touch it?

thanks a lot!

As far as I’ve read, depending on your patch it might be totally normal. Quote from Intellijel, on Muff:

The symmetry control is adding DC to the signal being folded to bias it.
The output of the uFold is not AC coupled so if your audio chain coming out of the modular does not use an interface stage with AC coupling then you are likely listening to DC on your speakers and it will sound scratchy.

2 Likes

Thank you! :+1:

Thanks Zanscath! I should post that as an FAQ entry.

2 Likes

…playing around a bit more this time I also noticed it by touching the stages slider - just by slightly touching it - it “scratches like Grand Wizard Theodore”… is that also normal?

No, you should send an e-mail to support@intellijel.com

1 Like

I like putting the 1v/Oct notes from my sequencer through the uFold and modulate with in time LFOs, instant remix. I suppose you could then feed it to a uScale (if I owned one)