Tete v1.1.0.1 — Voltage Banks for Combo Mode

As usual, download from https://intellijel.com/support/

Thanks for all your feedback! We’ve implement some of our user requests into this update.

1.1.0.1 (2020-03-05)

• FIXED: The scale quantizer in Combo Mode locked to chromatic scale on pads 3 and 4.

1.1.0.0 (2020-03-02)

IMPORTANT: You must also update your Tetrapad to version 3.0.0.1.

• NEW: The three assignable outputs (SYNC, A, B) have a new Run+Rec option, which transmits a +5V gate whenever Tête is actively recording or overdubbing a loop or sequence.
  • NEW: The three assignable outputs (SYNC, A, B) have a new Loopy option, which transmits a +5V gate whenever Loopy is active.
  • NEW: The Global Setup Menu has a new Late Comp toggle for enabling/disabling Play/Record Compensation. It can be useful to turn this off when Tête is used as the master transport control in your system.
  • NEW: A new Reset Mode option in the Mode SETUP menu enables you to reset that current mode’s Mode SETUP menu options to their default, factory settings.
  • NEW: Tête now ignores External Clock pulses that exceed 2400 BPM. Clock screen will display “Too Fast” when this rate is exceeded. This prevents Tête from becoming unstable when the operator is suffering from an excessive caffeine overdose.
  • FIXED: Better error message if there is a problem with the SD Card.
  • FIXED: Inconsistent or missing “Touch” CV output assignment.
  • FIXED: Negative Voltage on “Position” CV output when loop was empty.
  • FIXED: SOL/SOS CV Gate not always firing when recording a new loop.
  • CHANGE: Coarse/Fine tuning (where applicable) is now handled with Encoder Acceleration. Turn slowly to increment in slowly, and turn faster to increment more quickly. (No need to Push-Turn the encoder for fine increments)
  • CHANGED: The “Load Defaults” selection in the CV Setup menu has been renamed “Reset CV” for clarity and consistency with the new “Reset Mode” option mentioned above.

COMBO MODE CHANGES:

• NEW: Voltage Bank Pad - 4 pairs of stored voltages on a single pad. See Combo Mode: Voltage Banks for complete description.
  • NEW: In Combo Mode only, the three assignable outputs (SYNC, A, B) have a new per-pad Touch* option (Touch 1* - Touch 4*) that, if selected, transmits a +5V trigger whenever the indicated pad is touched.
  • NEW: In Combo Mode only, the two assignable variable voltage outputs (A and B) have a new per-pad Pressure option (Pressure 1 - Pressure 4) that, if selected, transmits a control voltage based on the amount of pressure applied to the indicated pad.
  • NEW: You may now independently latch the top and bottom switches on a Combo Mode switches pad. Hold down the red SHIFT button and click the encoder to toggle whether only the top or only the bottom switch is latched.

VOLTAGES MODE CHANGES:

• NEW: Set a range for randomized voltages - Two new parameters (Random Min and Random Max) in the Voltages Mode SETUP Menu work together to define the overall range of possible voltages generated whenever a voltage is randomized in Voltages Mode. Using these two parameters, you can define a randomization range as wide as 10V (-5V to +5V) or as narrow as a single volt.
  • CHANGED: Holding down the red SHIFT button and pressing an encoder used to randomize the voltage on that encoder’s specific output in the selected bank. It now randomizes the voltage on the encoder’s specific output across ALL banks.
5 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much for this update. Lots of really useful stuff. I’m especially happy to see the new random voltage range setting and the change to the Coarse/Fine tuning with Encoder acceleration. Great job guys!

@slowwild Hi, would you please check one thing on this new firmware? I tried, as usual, euclidean mode in Combo Mode, with the single drum pad functionality and output voltage quantized. However, even if I select different scales or root notes, the output voltage does not follow, it seems it’s set to chromatic… Voltage is properly quantized when I select a unipolar fader.
Is this my issue? I didn’t change any setting on my sound sources, just updated firmware on Tete and Tetrapad… If there’s indeed an issue on this new firmware, is there anyway to go back to the original firmware (which does not shown on the Firmware Updater)?

You’ve definitely found a bug, I’ve located and am fixing now. Expect an update by tomorrow. Thanks for reporting this!

Fixed, updated and released. Thank you again for catching this!

5 Likes

Thank you for working on it so quick (literally overnight, while I was sleeping in Japan time)! Now it’s working properly.

BTW, we talked on the other thread about a possibility of having more ‘note-oriented’ keyboard on Combo Mode, with such features as capability to change octaves and having a selected root note to the bottom of a stripe. Perhaps this will be added to the next firmware update?

Yeah, we’ve had concepts for a notes focused mode inside combo mode for a bit. It’s on our radar.

1 Like

Hey,
I really love my tête/tetrapad combo!! It’s brilliant.
I noticed yesterday that the CV option “scale root” in Combo mode doesn’t work to change the scale of a quantized LFO.
Also I’d like to know if that would be possible, in Voltage mode to add an option “randomize banks” in the CV input?
The last thing: In combo mode I use the reset CV input to reset a random LFO and turn it in a kind of sample & hold. I didn’t find any other way to do it, if yes I’d like to know it. Otherwise, the problem is all LFOs and other functions are also reseted in same time. Could we imagine an option to do it better?
Thanks

2 Likes

Those are some good suggestions, @michel07! Maybe LFO RESET could be added as a MOD Trig option?

:two_hearts:

Scale Root changes the Key/Root Note of the scale you have selected. I’ve tested on all four pads, as long as you have 1.1.0.1, it should behave as expected. It will not octave shift, just change which notes are accessible in the chosen scale.

You can clock sync the LFOs, If you are pulling the sample on a fixed interval, you can use the divider/multiplier to get the module to update with the clock.

But currently there is no direct sample and hold option. Since the LFO is already generating your sample, the best way to handle is to add a “LFO S&H” and “LFO T&H” Destinations for the XYZ inputs, a trigger or high gate would freeze the LFO’s output. I’ll add this to the feature requests, great idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Thanks for the update and a great module!

An idea for future updates: the switches could be a more flexible tool, if you could set the voltages for on/off states. For example, you could set switches as toggles to transpose a sequence by different intervals without the need for attenuators etc. You could just add a ±offset for the “off” state and a (quantizable) value for the “on” state or something like that.

I realize Tete is packed with functionality already, but the switches part looks to me like you could cram more stuff in there.

Yeah we’ve had that request before, we’ll review it again when we are planning the next update :slight_smile:

Nice! A couple of things I came across while updating:

• You should probably update the manual for Tete with instructions for how to update. It took me a while to figure out that the instructions were in the updater software.

• All my saved presets in voltages mode seem to have stopped working. If I try to load them I get a message saying “Bad file format”

1 Like

Agreed that it would be helpful to indicate in the manual that the update instructions are included in the updater software.

It would also be helpful to indicate what type of USB cable is needed for the procedure.

The presets should be backwards compatible. Can email me with one of the preset files that is not working? I will PM my email address.

Hello!

Tried updating and received an ERROR DURING UPDATE message. Working from a mac. Would you have some suggestions?

Thank you

Hi @pjourke. That’s a pretty standard error, usually caused by the Tete not being detected for some reason.

A common issue is that USB cables supplied with devices often only provide charging capabilities and don’t send data. Trying another cable might do the trick. Also, check the instructions in the firmware updater app to make sure you’re starting the device in the bootloader state correctly.

Hi there,

A couple of things:

I have also a message “bad format” when I try to load a preset in Voltage mode.

Is it possible in LFO mode to have a quick LED blink or flash to indicate when it’s in the center of the pad (not divided/multiplicated)? It could be useful to manage when sync is activated. Or is it another method to do it easier?

My request for a trig destination to randomize bank could also be great in Combo voltage pad.

As another user suggested, the gate emitted in Euclidean mode is not adapted to ping a filter. I always have a doubled ping due to the length of the gate I guess.

Everything else is perfect
thanks a lot
Cheers

This was a really, really nice update. If I may I would like to just bump my own suggestion from a few months ago @ Tête Livestream/Release! — Dec 12, 2pm PST

in Voltages mode, to be able to edit multiple banks at the same time. as on the newer Elektron interfaces, where you can hold down multiple steps at the same time and turning an encoder sets values (which might differ for any steps that already have “locked” values, in which case the encoder turn offsets the locked value) across all those steps simultaneously. or maybe something more clever, where holding down one bank and then any subsequent banks you touch while holding the first down “gang” them to the “edit group”, so it’s possible to quickly edit all banks at the same time (and then the “group” is cleared the next time you touch a new bank after releasing the first). in this scenario of “multiple bank editing”, the Tete display would probably have to temporarily null out the fader levels graphic until the group editing is finished, as of course it can only display one bank at a time.

I really want to be able to set multiple banks’ voltage levels more quickly on the Tetrapad. I think this part of the workflow would be massively accelerated with a UX change along the above lines. It works really well on the newer Elektron interfaces, as well as a handful of other powerful sequencers (e.g., Squarp Pyramid, or the Cirklon’s ‘gang’ editing).

Thanks for listening.

We add all feature requests to a list, so yours has been heard.As we decide what will go into the next updates, we consider all the suggestions.

It’s worth noting that we can only detect a single touch per pad (on each of the 4 pads), we are splitting pads into 2, 3 or 4 for Voltages mode. So holding down multiple pads will be difficult. We could implement some sort of grouping system, but it would add so much complexity to the mode, we would need to consider implementation very carefully. We only have so many buttons and UI elements to play with here.

Cheers

2 Likes