Home | Manuals | FAQ | Contact Us

Atlantis vs. Shapeshifter

I’m torn between purchasing Atlantis or Shapeshifter. I can’t find a ton of videos on Shapeshifter so I’m not as familiar with the sound possibilities versus what I’ve heard from Atlantis.

I generally make ambient or atmospheric music but I do enjoy a thick synth sound sometimes. The Atlantis definitely fits the bill in this aspect, but is the Shapeshifter also capable of producing thick, gritty sounds, pads, et cetera?

One of the main reasons that I’m uncertain is the HP that Atlantis requires. If Shapeshifter is capable of dirty and hazy sounds then I’d probably choose it simply because of the HP.

I appreciate any insight from those of you who have both, have used both, or have created some of the aforementioned sounds with either.

Personally if I could have only one, I would have the Shapeshifter. It’s really versatile and can do a huge range from really clean pure sounds to harsh distortion, digital sounding noises, and all sorts of grit in between. The chord mode is also great for doing all sorts of stabs and animated pads, etc.

It’s been my favorite Eurorack sound generator for years, before I even worked at Intellijel.

1 Like

I’ve heard a few examples of Shapeshifter making metallic, digital tones. I’ve yet to see an example of it making thick, hazy, drifting oscillator-type sounds heard commonly in the 70’s. Is it capable of such?

For sure. Put it in unison chord mode, detune a bit and slowly modulate the waveshapes, maybe add a touch of drive. You’ll get lots of warm drifting movement.

This is my first post here. I had both the Shapeshifter and the Atlantis in my case. I’ve traded my Shapeshifter for a Metropolis because of a Rubicon Dixie uFold also in my case. The Shapeshifter could do: complex oscillator, thru-zero fm, ring mod and all sorts of synced stuff, the craziest Lfo’s and chords in way less HP than anything I had in my system but if you want to explore 70’ style analog drifting raw oscillators I would go with Atlantis. The Shapeshifter will bring you there but also a lot more. The Atlantis is the door to that realm.

Do you mean it is capable of what I described plus a lot more? If so, then it sounds like it might be the best fit.

@exper I’m not sure if you have the time but, if you ever find it, could you upload a video of the method you described? I’d love to be sold on the one with less HP.

What I mean: it is capable and even more. Will you like the soundscapes it is able to create? That I cannot answer. I didn’t and I don’t want to bring the discussion into analog vs digital because I believe it’s a very subjective and sensitive subject. I prefer to keep my system analog as I prefer it and it’s all in my head and I’ve been fighting with this for a very long time. I’ve kept my Atlantis and I don’t regret it. I don’t miss the Shapeshifter. I like the fact that it’s electric voltages and not a digital conversion. It is a realm I have chosen. I will add that I have machines in my studio that are a little bit menu driven. The Shapeshifter is a tiny bit menu driven. I didn’t get along with that fact. Maybe you won’t mind. And maybe you will absolutely love the vocoder. It’s amazing…

It’s funny, I know I’ve demonstrated Shapeshifter making sounds like that in our videos, but they were all demonstrating other modules so they don’t turn up when you search for Shapeshifter! Since it was an older module, we haven’t done as many videos specifically focused on it.

Atlantis is great because it’s a self contained synth voice that sounds awesome and is quite flexible, but as you expand your system with dedicated VCA, VCF, and modulation sources you might find it doesn’t justify the HP as much.

Here’s a few videos that showcase Shapeshifter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Xw5sr7akM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MxwoWdicw
Here’s a nice one of the two together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W8F8JzBUEM

That last video really created some of the sounds that I’m interested in and I think sold me on the Shapeshifter over the Atlantis. I appreciate those links, Scott!

1 Like

Awesome! Glad I could help…

I have a quick question regarding the last video that I commented on. The description reads:

One Dixie 2+ Saw is fed to a Morgasmatron filter, the other to a Polaris filter. Both are sequenced by Metropolis via Shifty, so the melody ping pongs between the two voices (aka ‘hocketting’).

Planar 2 is transposing the sequence of Metropolis via the Aux A input, as well as the GAIN and FREQ of Springray 2’s reverb to get some feedback drones. An Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy providing delay, and Shapeshifter as a simple LFO is modulating both filters via OUT 2.

Does this mean that none of those thick sounds were coming from the Shapeshifter after all?

Oh yikes… yes that would be correct! Guess I should have read the description before sending it! Sorry about that. I just saw Shapeshifter and that the OUT2 was connected.

No worries. I’m impressed by the sounds you can get from two Dixie 2+s as the main sound sources.